Subject: L68K: New CyberVision64 driver for 2.1.120
From: [email-masked] (Alan Bair)
To: [email-masked] (Linux/m68k Mailing List)
Cc: [email-masked] (Alan Bair)
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 00:52:06 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

I finally have a self-initializing driver for the CyberVision64
board working well enough that I have decided to release it for
others to try out. There are two files, a drop in replacement
for the cyberfb.c and a new cyberfb.h file. To install, just
untar the included file in the base of the linux_2.1.120 release,
saving the original cyberfb.c first if desired. A diff would have
been as big or bigger than the files, so I didn't do that.

This code is based on the original cyberfb.c and code from NetBSD 
initially ported by Antonio Santos and originally created by 
Michael Teske who indicated it was OK to use as the basis for a
Linux driver. It currently works OK for me as a console at only
8 BPP and low resolutions. The resolution can be changed on the
fly using fbset with a command like the following:

fbset -i -ofb /dev/fb1 -db ./fb.modes -n 640x480-8

Where fb.modes is a private modes file. With some more code from
Michael I am also working on an AmigaDOS tool that would allow
generation of entries based on the CyberGraphX monitor settings.
I have done this manually for the settings I have built into the
driver. Here is what it contains and their status.

These are my entries:
640x480-8	OK
640x480-16	FAILS with just no display, can switch back sometimes
                or locks up machine
640x480-24	FAILS with machine lock-up
800x490-8	OK
These are Antonio's entries:
800x600-8	He indicated OK
1024x768-8	ditto
1152x886-8	ditto
1280x1024-8	Interlaced, works poorly

Here is a sample amiboot or lilo argument set I have been using:

video=cyber:800x490-8 video=amifb:ntsc-lace video=map:1001111111"

In my initial porting work I was having trouble with using just the
CV64 as the console or as VT #1, so I found this VT mapping to
work and have not tried other variations since then.

Work TODO:
* More testing, hopefully some of you will help here :-)
* Check out use with X
* Turn on or implement use of accelartion for text, etc.
* Fix >8 bpp or implement support for it
* Complete the CyberGraphX -> fb.modes program
* Implement use of the on-board monitor switch to support a single
  monitor setup. I'm currently using two monitors.

Have fun,
Alan Bair

[tar file here is in alan-cyberfb.tar.gz]